Friday, June 24, 2011

Peter Falk, 1927-2011

Though the grind of the traditional continuous streak of summer midterms demands the bulk of my time and attention, I'm compelled to offer a brief appreciation in memory of Peter Falk, who died yesterday at the age of 83. He's best remembered, of course, as Columbo, a the titular character of a show carried exclusively by Falk's inimitable capacity to play an unremarkable-looking man who was nonetheless believable as an infallable detective. He also brought a grandfatherly charm to The Princess Bride that made him the only castmember to compare with the otherworldly lovability of Andre the Giant. The greatest role of his career was a small but indelible turn in Wings of Desire, where he played himself, Peter Falk - an angel who'd surrendered immortality for a chance to live among the mortals he'd only been able to watch from afar, and never regretted it. It was precisely that strength of character, as manifested in real life, that made Peter Falk a hero to me: one who overcame half-blindness (also in his right eye), certainly to great success and acclaim, but more importantly, with the humor and fortitude that endeared each of his characters to so many. It feels most appropriate to end with a baseball story of his: "I remember once in high school the umpire called me out at third base when I was sure I was safe. I got so mad I took out my glass eye, handed it to him and said, 'Try this.' I got such a laugh you wouldn't believe."



In Memoriam

No comments:

Post a Comment