Wednesday, March 28, 2012

In Search of 3D

On April 19, 2004 I abruptly lost all vision in my right eye. Among the consequences (which include the name of this blog) was that as the ensuing weeks elapsed, I lost my capacity for depth perception, and my definition of "three dimensional" rapidly became difficult to put into words. I still do perceive shape, particularly in high-light/ strong-shadow conditions, but most shapes carry an outline that makes them look partially flat, at least around the edges. The bottom line is that I am now unable to perceive the world in three true dimensions, as I could growing up. On March 5, the gif file seen below was uploaded to imgur; it was the first time I had seen an image in 3D in almost 8 years.


Presumably, most viewers' experiences looking at this funky drawing won't feel as portentous as my own. However, today I discovered the artist's name, Dain Fagerholm, and a gallery of his Where the Wild Things Are-like work online. As a small token of my thanks for the temporary gift of 3D, I thought I'd throw out a link into the near-infinite void of the internet, and hopefully get him an extra view or two. As an added inducement, here's my favorite so far, "Asylum":

No comments:

Post a Comment